Tuesday, March 30, 2010

3.

Got some new fabric the other day, which I am itching to make a skirt or two out of.
I was inspired by the curtains in the Vic library. Scratchy, unnatural fibers in a loose, mesh-like weave, creating curtains that do their job very poorly. But lined, they'd make a perfect skirt!
Short of ripping the curtains off their railings and making off with them, I figured I was probably out of luck if I wanted to get my hands on a similar fabric. So I was pleasantly surprised when I found a thick parcel of this in the remnant bin at Arthur Toye:



Sometimes it is hard to look at a fabric in bulk on a roll in a store and translate it into a finished garment in your head, which is why remnant bins can be so full of goodness. That is, when they're not full of polar fleece or fluoro nylon. I also got a lovely silk-cotton blend with a very subtle woven polka dot. Not sure what I'll use it for. It's so gorgeous and I have so little that I'm worried about wasting it.

BUT. My essay isn't finished so enough dreaming about fabric and back to early Christian art.

No comments:

Post a Comment